(insert caveat about theorizing without data)

Now then, a big selling point for competitive universities is retention rate
- how many incoming freshmen they keep on to graduate at the same school.
Obviously, good grades are a key factor in retaining students.

For universities that take the long view, better grades mean better job
opportunities for graduates.  Better-paid graduates mean better endowments
in the future.  For schools that have seen their 300th birthday (i.e.,
Harvard), it's not so unreasonable to assume such a precognitive scope.

-JP