Bryan Caplan wrote:
> > I'm sure that all of what you says applies to some degree (lower
> > IQ, less punishment, etc), but it really comes down to
> > biological development. Child brains simply aren't developed
> > enough to (a) remember past behavior correctly, (b) connect behavior
> > to punishment, (c) calculate risks.
>
>But children in fact do all of the above.  They do them to a lesser and
>worse extent, but that is a different matter.

I agree with Bryan; this seems to be an adaptation to the environment
of children, not a mistake due to ignorance.

Let me propose a signaling story.  The young try more to signal to
each other that they would be good allies and mates, while the old
are already matched more and need to get along.   The young need to
show that they know how to be and are capable of being cooperative,
but they also need to show that they are tough, will defend their
allies, etc.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323