Fabio Rojas wrote:

"I'd say economics has a pretty decent turn around time."

The following are data from a recent paper by Glenn Ellison of MIT (JPE, October
2002).  The data are average times (measured in months) between initial submission and
acceptance at various economics journals in the year 1999.  (The full paper is
available for viewing at http://web.mit.edu/gellison/www/jrnem2.pdf ):

American Economic Review                21.1
Econometrica                    26.3
Journal of Political Economy            20.3
Quarterly Journal of Economics  13.0
Review of Economic Studies      28.8

Canadian Journal of Economics   16.6
Economic Inquiry                        13.0
Economic Journal                        18.2
International Economic Review   16.8
Review of Economics and Statistics 18.8

Journal of Applied Econometrics         21.5
Journal of Comparative Economics        10.1
Journal of Development Economics        17.3
Journal of Econometrics                 25.5
Journal of Economic Theory              16.4
Journal of Environmental Ec. & Man. 13.1
Journal of International Economics       16.2
Journal of Law and Economics    14.8
Journal of Mathematical Economics        8.5
Journal of Monetary Economics   16.0
Journal of Public Economics             9.9
Journal of Urban Economics              8.8
RAND Journal of Economics               20.9

Journal of Accounting and Economics 11.5
Journal of Finance                      18.6
Journal of Financial Economics  14.8

Alex

Dr Alex Robson
School of Economics