"Robson, Alex" wrote:

"The data are average times (measured in months)
between initial submission and acceptance at various
economics journals in the year 1999."

It seems that the long times quoted in this article
are something different than what fabio was talking
about.  I have not read the article but the above
quote leads me to believe that this includes receiving
multiple responses from the journals since most
articles are not simply accepted on the first
submission but instead require revisions.  If we
divide all those avg times by 2 or 3, for the multiple
replies between referees and authors before
acceptance, it doesn't look quite as bad (though still
not great).

Ben Powell