Wei Dai wrote:
> In fact, we do have laws designed to reduce competition for mates,
namely
> laws against polygamy. Without those laws, inequality in the outcome
of
> this competition would be even greater than they are today.

Polygamy laws do not prevent that some individuals end up having many
more and better quality sex partners in their lives than others. First
of all since there is no requirement to marry; secondly because
adultery is not outlawed...

...and here I haven't even taken the quality perspective into
consideration. Even if we were all confined to (and guaranteed) one sex
partner throughout life - were is the fairness of the spontaneous
quality distribution???

My point with the example is this: when there are so many things in
life that are blatantly "unfairly" (if you believe in equality)
distributed among us, why this preoccupation with wealth / income -
especially when it is conceeded that effeorts to redistribute existing
income / wealth will inevitably reduce future income / wealth.

- jacob braestrup