--- Alypius Skinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> if a state did not exist, one would soon emerge  because the stateless
society would be so obviously suboptimal for an economy beyond the level of
the hunter gatherer.<
> ~Alypius Skinner

If this is indeed obvious, please provide the explanation,
because the obviousness is not evident to me.

> For example, when the bloated west Roman state collapsed in western
> Europe, the life of the average peasant probably improved, but trade also
> collapsed, which made society in the aggregate poorer.

If the vast majority of the population were peasants, and their lives
improved on average, how could society be poorer?

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]