Jacob W Braestrup wrote:

> Alypius Skinner wrote
>
> Thus some sort of
> > balance must be struck between compassion for our fellow man and
> maintaining
> > the incentives for temptation-prone people (who are often the same as
> the
> > incompetent or semi-competent people) to resist temptation.
>
> But where do you suppose such a balance is most accurately struck? in a
> public market for redistribution - or a private one?
>
> my money is on te latter
>
> - jacob braestrup

All government programs are a form of redistribution.  For example, public
police and fire protection subsidize the safety of the poor at the expense
of the rich (if I may oversimplify the class structure).  So the real
question is whether the optimal balance would be one of no public
redistribution or some public redistribution.  If there were no public
redistribution, there would be no need for a state, yet if a state did not
exist, one would soon emerge  because the stateless society would be so
obviously suboptimal for an economy beyond the level of the hunter gatherer.
For example, when the bloated west Roman state collapsed in western Europe,
the life of the average peasant probably improved, but trade also collapsed,
which made society in the aggregate poorer.  This is an example of swinging
from one suboptimal extreme of public redistribution to another.   I would
certainly argue that the current level of public redistribution is above the
optimum rather than below it--probably well above.  But I would not argue
that the optimum is zero public redistribution.

Of course, this question of whether we should have an inherently
redistributionist public sector is a different question than whether  the
public sector should micromanage the private sector.

~Alypius Skinner