Thanks Mark,
that takes care of changing the colours but for some reason the names
argument still isn't influencing anything. For example:

bpstats = boxplotStats(getChipEffectSet(qam), type="NUSE")
plotBoxplotStats(bpstats, boxfill=c("red","blue","green"), names=c("G1",
"G2", "G3"))

does not change the names displayed under the boxplots. Any idea how to
change this?
thanks again,
Sebastien