Hi Sabrina.

How about you try and create a 'flat' file like the one described at:
http://groups.google.com/group/aroma-affymetrix/web/creating-cdf-files-from-scratch

Presumably, you will be comfortable with the Exon Array's 'probetab'
file by now and possibly the Affymetrix annotation CSV file and so you
should have access to all this information.

For example, from the following table:

mac1618:HuEx-1_0-st-v2.probe.tab mrobinson$ head HuEx-1_0-st-
v2.probe.tab
Probe ID        Probe Set ID    probe x probe y assembly        seqname start
stop
strand  probe sequence  target strandedness     category
494998  2315101 917     193     build-34/hg16   chr1    1788    1812    +

CACGGGAAGTCTGGGCTAAGAGACA       Sense   main
1734213 2315101 1092    677     build-34/hg16   chr1    1973    1997    +

ACAGGGGCCAGAAGATGAACAATGG       Sense   main
4767517 2315101 796     1862    build-34/hg16   chr1    1992    2016    +

ATTAAGTTACATGCAGACAACAGGG       Sense   main
4286427 2315101 986     1674    build-34/hg16   chr1    2006    2030    +

TGCCTGGTTGTGGTATTAAGTTACA       Sense   main
5760145 2315102 144     2250    build-34/hg16   chr1    2520    2544    +

TCGGCCGTCGTCTTCTGCAGCTCTG       Sense   main
671410  2315102 689     262     build-34/hg16   chr1    2523    2547    +

AAGTCGGCCGTCGTCTTCTGCAGCT       Sense   main
4275780 2315102 579     1670    build-34/hg16   chr1    2526    2550    +

TCCAAGTCGGCCGTCGTCTTCTGCA       Sense   main
4293462 2315102 341     1677    build-34/hg16   chr1    2531    2555    +

TGTGATCCAAGTCGGCCGTCGTCTT       Sense   main
5388    2315103 267     2       build-34/hg16   chr1    2927    2951    +

CTGTCTGTCGACCCAGCTGGAGGCA       Sense   main
[snip]

... you see the second column is the probeset_id, which would be used
as the "Group_ID" column for your flat file.  Depending on whether you
are using the Ensembl CDF or the Affymetrix annotation, you would need
to create a mapping to get the transcript cluster id column (here, the
"Unit_ID").  Everything else you need (Probe_Sequence, X, Y, Probe_ID)
is within the table above.

Then, it would be just a matter of filtering OUT those probes that
overlap a SNP, which based on your mapping exercise, you must have a
list of.  Then, make a call to the flat2Cdf() script and hopefully
you'll be off and running.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Mark

On 10/06/2009, at 1:00 PM, sabrina wrote:

> Thanks , Mark!
> Can you show me /walk me through how to get a new snp-free CDF ? I
> finally got the right version of snp and probe mapping so I am ready
> to try it out!
>
> Sabrina
>
> On Jun 6, 3:14 am, Mark Robinson <mrobin...@wehi.edu.au> wrote:
>> Hi Sabrina.
>>
>> Comments below.
>>
>> On 06/06/2009, at 1:57 AM, sabrina wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, Mark:
>>> I finally found the SNP data set that is suitable for my case. As I
>>> understand, aroma used RMA to estimate gene level and exon level
>>> intensities. After I estimate gene level (transcript level), I can
>>> use
>>> FIRMA to estimate residual for each exon and compose a score as
>>> described in the paper . My question is: if there is a SNP
>>> difference
>>> between two strains within one exon, should I exclude that exon from
>>> estimating transcript level value? My guess is probably no.
>>
>> If the SNP affects only 1 probe in an entire transcript, I would
>> expect it to have very little impact on the gene-level summary.  And,
>> especially so if there are a large number of total probes for that
>> gene.  It may have a noticeable effect on the probe effect.
>>
>>> So will it
>>> be a good idea if I exclude that exon after I calculate all FIRMA
>>> scores or  should I exclude these exons after I estimate residuals ,
>>> but only used these residuals not affected by SNPs for firma score
>>> estimation? Thanks
>>
>> Keep in mind the residuals are calculated at the probe-level, not the
>> probeset-level.  The FIRMA score is then a summary of the all the
>> residuals for a probeset.
>>
>> I think you have (at least) 3 choices:
>>
>> 1. (preferred, i would think) you could remove all affected *probes*
>> (via the creation of a SNP-affected-probe-free CDF) in advance, then
>> run FIRMA as normal.  I can help with this if you tell me which
>> probes
>> are affected.
>>
>> 2. remove the affected *probesets* afterwards, since you may not
>> believe the FIRMA scores for which these are based on.
>>
>> 3. as you suggested, only calculate FIRMA scores from unaffected
>> residuals.  But, the information you require to do this is the same
>> information required to do #1 and it would seems like #1 is
>> preferred.
>>
>> The good thing about option #1 is you would still have some ability
>> detect differential splicing for the probeset (instead of tossing it
>> away), albeit with the smaller number of remaining unaffected probes.

> [...]

Mark Robinson, PhD (Melb)