Hi.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Kai <wangz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> I read the following thread in the archive (http://groups.google.com/
> group/aroma-affymetrix/msg/dc6eda9aca987a29) where the you guys
> discussed how to modify the plotting functions when generating the
> Chromosome Explorer plots for CN segmentation results.

Just to be clear; we're not discussing how to change the plot function
per se, but the device driver function that generates PNG image files.

> A quote from the post says: "I modified the plotting functions
> reducing the line width for regions
> to lwd=2 and raw CN pointsize to ces=0.3. Now they look much
> better...".
>
> This is also something what I am trying to do, but I don't seem to be
> able to find these "plotting functions" and am not sure on how to
> override them.

It is plot() for the CopyNumberSegmentationModel class that acts as
the main plot function, cf. print(plot.CopyNumberSegmentationModel).
But as you can see, it in turn utilizes different functions to plot
the data, the annotations etc.  From the code you'll find that
plotProfile2() is another function of interest, more specifically,
plotProfile2.profileCGH() and from there you'll find
pointsRawCNs.profileCGH().  BTW, all these functions are in the
aroma.core package and you can also access the source code via R-forge
in the aroma.* project;

  https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/?group_id=429

Since we're not (yet) using namespaces, you can easily override them
with your own version.

However, I *really* recommend that you instead figure out and solve
the problem with your PNG drivers on your cluster.  It is not clear
what you mean by "bad plots" etc (you can attach example PNGs to this
list), but I've heard of it before in R and I think people managed to
solve it.  Note that there are many different device drivers to
generate PNG files in R (e.g. my "png2() wrapper on top of bitmap()")
, which is why I created findPngDevice() and ways to specify exactly
which you want (as explained in the aforementioned thread).

A good approach is to skip the aroma.* framework and instead try to
"troubleshoot" this my generating some basic PNG plots using standard
R, cf. png(), bitmap(), Cairo, ...  You should be able find some that
works for you.  Also, talk to your sysadm about this.

/Henrik