was revisiting this album and then googled. Here is an interesting
review. More related links at the end of this mail.

http://hometown.aol.com/musbuff/page74.htm

BETWEEN HEAVEN AND EARTH

15 Tracks [Total Time = 51:09]

Music composed by A.R. Rahman.

Czech Film Orchestra and Chorus, Matt Dunkley, Conductor.  Solo
instrumentalists: Martin Robertson (Duduk); Won On Yuen (Erhu); Chou
Boon Chong (Dizi); S. Silvamani (Taiko Drums & Percussion); Raja
Tirupathi & Kumar Vuuri (additional  percussion); Noreen Kumar
(Flute); Vaclav Sykora (Recorder).  Solo vocalists:  Sadhana Sargam
("Warriors of Peace" - Hindi lyrics by Mehboob Alam); Sunitha Sarathy
("Warriors of Peace" - English lyrics by BlaaZe).

Executive Producer: Paul Cremo. A&R Manager: Alison Riach.  Art
Direcftion and Design by Chris Austopchuck and Detchapat Arttasan.
Recorde on June 13-20, 2003 at Sahara Sound Ltd.; London: Rudolfinum
& Sono Studios; Prague: Panchathan Record-Inn, Chenn.

Sony Classical SK 92494

Rating: ***1/2

After all the media attention given to Rahman, I was expecting
something really spectacular on this CD.

In a recent article in TIME Magazine (3 May 2004), Allah Rakha Rahman
[his name at birth was: A.S. Dileep Kumar] is called "The Mozart of
Madras."  That is such foolishness!  It is simply unfair to compare
this young Indian composer to one of the greatest classical music
geniuses of all time.  They come from totally different backgrounds
and traditions.  But Rahman is probably more popular than Mozart
today, at least in Bombay and other South Asian locations.  At only
38, his music has sold more than 40 million units worldwide. Thanks
to the encouragement of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, who called him "a
melodic genius," Rahman wrote a musical titled BOMBAY DREAMS, his
first Western theatrical success which has run for several years in
London.

For this first CD using symphonic orchestra and ethnic instruments,
Rahman has drawn from his score to the Chinese film, WARRIORS OF
HEAVEN AND EARTH.

This is an album of both delights and disappointments.  It features a
combination of Western and Asian styles, using traditional orchestra
and ethnic instruments.  This isn't the first time such a combination
has been employed.  Tan Dun did it successfully in CROCHING TIGER,
HIDDEN DRAGON, and so did Zhao Jiping in his Electric Shadows
compilation.

The music on BETWEEN HEAVEN AND EARTH provides enough to keep things
moving along, if not always leading to enthralling listening.  Many
of the tracks don't allow for much expansion of ideas.

"The Golden Era" (3:56), starts off very nicely with a solo flute
playing a flavorful ethnic theme, followed by the orchestra and
wordless chorus.  It's a good beginning to the CD.

The next track has the song that Rahman wrote for the WARRIORS OF
HEAVEN AND EARTH soundtrack. The song is titled "Warriors in Peace"
and is recorded in both a Hindi version (track 2, 4:45) and English
version (track 15, 4:31). I didn't care much for the song, but it may
interest those who want to have alternate versions. The whispery
voice at the beginning of the song makes it even less appealing. No
song lyrics are provided in the CD flyer. This is unfortunate since
it is difficult to understand what is being sung.  At least the
English lyrics would have been helpful.

On this collection there are a wide diversity of forces used by
Rahman.  One is chant, as heard on "Lord An's Empire" (track 3,
3:31). The singers are accompanied by drums and percussion and the
constant repetition may seem pleasing or not depending on your
interest in this sort of world music.  I didn't find it very
memorable.

Another technique is the use of a solo instrument to introduce the
theme.  This is so on the track titled "Water" (track 4, 3:52),
featuring the mesmerizing solo music of the duduk.  I've always been
drawn to the sounds of lower instruments. For me, this track is very
expressive.  I believe it's the best one on the CD.

After this highly emotional music, the next track sinks into
overblown rhythmic tedium.  It's titled "Horses" (2:27), and features
wordless chorus and drums, and unfortunately reminded me a bit of
James Horner's less than stellar music. What does the title
represent? The connection between the titles and the music are not
explained in the CD flyer.

Next comes a beautiful track titled, "Mountains" (1:49), featuring
solo flute and orchestra. Such a shame it's so brief.

As already mentioned, this CD alternates between Western and Eastern
styles. Besides the good ones already mentioned, there are also "Blue
Light" and "The Monk and the Miracle" (tracks 10-11).  These offer
more soothing sounds and have much to savor and enjoy.  There is also
a track taken from the Chinese film (track 14, 4:27) which is a nice
addition.

Two tracks highlighting Chinese instruments, "Dacoit Duel" and "Lai
Chi" (tracks 7-8) were not to my liking but may appeal to those who
like rhythmic drumming.  Another track, with the ironic title
of "Desert Storm" (track 12, 5:19), is rather monotonous, at least to
my ears.  I had the same reaction to the next track, "Escape"
(2:33).

Yet even with my reservations--mainly the song and a few tracks--this
is still a worthwhile CD to sample the music of A.R. Rahman.  He is a
composer to watch out for in the future.

If you enjoy the combination of Western and Asian music then you
should find BETWEEN HEAVEN AND EARTH quite appealing.

--Roger Hall, 6 May 2004

http://musicstore.mymmode.com/album.do?albumID=815889
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2004/03_Nov---
CD_Reviews_Battlestar_Galactica_and_Between_Heaven_and_Earth.asp

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/iyUplB/TM