Hi Manzur,

I agree that more care needs to be given to correctly pronounce words
outside of one's regional mother tongue.  In the same breath, I also
find it quite creditable that a man like ARR, who knows very little
of Urdu, still makes a sincere attempt in pronounciation in his
songs, despite the flaws, which are generally forgiven.  I think ARR
had been taking Urdu lessons in the past to try and ammend this.  ARR
is a master musician, not a master orator and thus, although
misprunciations may be frowned on, given that he is a native
Tamilian, most people take that into consideration and cut him some
slack.

In my understanding, Urdu is a very exquisite language in terms of
diction and precision.  Of course, every language has a pure form for
pronounciation, but I feel that those who know Urdu well take a lot
of pride in their diction, and rightly so.  It's a beautiful
language.

Diction flaws are going to be there when you have a native Tamilian
singing in Urdu.  There are no two ways around it.  Neural networks
in the brain responsible for language expression and diction and
pronunciation precision are learned and hard wired during early to
middle childhood, reinforced by subsequent learning.  Once these
networks are hardwired in one's native tongue, it becomes almost
impossible to reform a new neural network for an entirely different
language system as an adult, although approximations are possible and
learning vocabulary and grammar is possible.  No matter how much ARR
may practice, there are still going to flaws from a purist
standpoint.  From a colloquial standpoint, those flaws can be
forgiven, because the sincerity behind the attempt is heartwarming.

You appear to be quite a purist of Urdu, which is quite noteworthy
and commendable.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Manzur S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>