Padmini,

I'm not sure if Chord promised an audio clip, but what I promised was a
write-up on Uyirum Neeye which I did post a few days back. Let me see if I can
get these uploaded to the group database storage. I will just send it to you in
the meantime.

Arijith,

Remember that my comparisons were bounded by the time frames I chose. The
question you're posing is
on a open window, but let me address what you are pointing out here.

Anbe:
Good song, but I didn't think it stood out the first time I heard it. It's got
amazing orchestration for sure.

Desh Mere:
Soulful, musically, but not daring, I must say. The context of the song,
lyrically, is rebellious of course, which may be what you are pointing out.

Dacaoit Duel:
I'm ashamed to say, this is one of the albums I'm yet to buy, so I cannot
comment. This too did not qualify because it is for a chinese production, and
not Indian.

Like an Eagle:
It's got energy for sure, but the singing does not suit the level of energy
needed. Raza Jeffrey and Priya Kalidas had veery pop voices and they could not
really pull off the vocal strength needed for a stage production. However, it
introduced stage drama/musicals to the Indian audience in UK, so in that sense
I can appreciate the effort. Bombay Dreams had pretty average lyrics to; I
always though Don Black could've done better than this. Sometimes I wonder if
he struggled with ARR's mystical approach to composing on top of the unusually
Eastern phrasing styles of ARR. He hints at this in the recent video which was
posted.

Please Sir:
I tend to skip this song, so I can't say this struck me as innovative. Is it a
new genre, that may have some truth in terms of style, but it is not striking
enough in my view.

Girlfriend:
Very pop song with lots of appropriate energy given the context, and I love it;
but it is certainly not a Thee Thee or Dil Se Re.

Dil Se (background score):
Background scores, I left out in the discussion, but Dil Se has some of the
most divine music ARR has created. A different world altogether. The Dil Se
album in its entirety would have easily qualified in this category if it had
not fallen outside the time windows I had defined.

Innisai:
Again, one of those albums, I'm yet to pick-up.

Konjum Mainakale:
Beautiful song, I loved Rajeev Menon's picturization as I did all of the song
picturizations of KK, especially the title song. This does not fall in the
original category; the standard I had set for this may be very high that it is
unfair to most songs that would easily qualify as original compared with other
composers' output; but we are talking about ARR's standards! :)

Vellai Pookkal:
Peace is the word to describe this song; so I can't call it rebellious from a
musical perspective. It's hard to capture a Gandhi in music. :)

RDB:
Now I must admit, I didn't think about this album at all when I wrote that
article on originality. How I missed this is beyond me, but I did try to be
spontaneous in the spirit of my topic! :) Yes, RDB is all about rebelliousness
and ARR captures that in so many different angles with this album. Khalbali and
Roobaroo would definitely fall in this category, and Paatshaala to a certain
degree as well. Though very contemporary, this album gives new meaning to what
popular music can be by lifting it a notch above the usual mediocrity. ARR has
a very sharp sense for what would become part of history and he just delivers
big time when it comes to movies like this. Thanks for pointing out that big,
big oversight; I did a dis-service to ARR here.

O Humdum:
Again, too pop for my category, but like Girlfriend from boys, it has energy
that suits its context.

Chotta Chotta:
This movie has a few wonderful songs, but I don't have it in my library, so
can't comment on this. That reminds me that I got a lot of shopping to do
including Jodha Akbar, which I absolutely need to buy!

It's good to see some of you thinking of why you like these songs and what sort
of emotions they evoke within you. My responses are subjective and should not
be taken as final by any means.  Let us discuss and debate because I am
learning and expanding as much as you may be.

Take care,
Dasun