Hi,

This is a nice topic, for me it was a very tough situation... let me
explain..

Our family was very traditional regarding music.... no bollywood music or
hindi songs never allowed to my premises (except a few Naushad/SD Burman or
Salil Chowdhury compositions).

In our family mostly Rabindra Sangeet (Tagore songs) were being played
and Hindustani classical, and my mother is a singer also (renders Tagore
songs only at that time and now-a-days every now and then sings Rahman's
song).

So at that time (I was at 8th standard) hindi music was strictly
prohibited.... but one fine Wednesday night I was surfing channels, and in
"Chitrahar" one song was playing called "Dil Hay chotasa".... I just glued
to the song and so my Mom (who never ever allowed me to see that
program)..... After that immediately we bought the cassette.... then Bombay,
rangeela, Hum Se hay Mukabila, Hindustani  the list goes on.... upto JA.

But I was so surprised that before I heard Roja I used to listen Rahman's
tune... every Sunday it was a ritual to see the Program "Spirit of Unity"
concert (may be the name is something different am not remembering now), and
I was very much interested in the opening and closing theme.... after Roja I
came to know that piece was comoposed by Rahman himself... so I was
follwoing the right direction since beginning....

Arijit