Oh.. this is a good thread! :)

should be interesting to read everyone's experiences!

my first exp  - I had narrated when i went on the Fan show on Aaha FM's
Rahmania.. here we go again...

I was in my 4th standard when Roja released.. I didnt know much about movies/
film music at that time, though I used to listen to a lot of music....The only
MD i knew then, was Illayaraja... one of my seniors from school came and gave
me a cassette and asked me to practice one of the songs on my keyboard, so that
I could accompany the singers. Need I even mention that the cassette was Roja
cassette? the song was "Thamizha Thamizha"... I listened to it and was totally
floored!!!  It was nothing like anything I had heard b4. I listened to all the
songs, and I was spell bound, and listened to them so many times that day!! And
later, when we performed Thamizha thamizha on stage, we got a very good
response as well! :)

Aravind

Indmov Buff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 This is such a lovely thread! Thanks for starting it, Bergin!
 Although it's a bit old I can't help sharing my unforgettable experience with
you guys.

 My parents and I were on holiday in India for the very first time ( I was 9
years old). We were in most parts of India and finished off in Chennai as part
of a pilgrimage. So our last 3 nights in India were in Chennai and I remember
my mother enjoying all the shopping whilst my dad and I were too engrossed,
absorbing the radiance in the atmosphere of the city.  So different to where I
come from but still felt very much like home and I remember not wanting to
leave. On the last night we decided to go watch a movie (my  first Indian movie
on big screen) and Roja had just released. I can't remember why we picked it.
Actually everything from this point is a blur except for until Chinna Chinna
Aasai started playing on screen. I remember vividly the feeling that came over
me when Chinna Chinna Aasai started.   I think 'happy' would be too simpler
word to use but I felt an extremely pleasant feeling taking over me. Something
beyond words and same for the other songs and of course
 the movie itself! My mum loved the songs too.  I walked out of Roja , with
admiration for two people*. Two people that I now have the greatest admiration
in Indian Cinema: Rahman and Maniratnam.

 I remember being really adamant in wanting to buy the Roja cassette before we
left to the airport. I was literally crying at the hotel reception so my poor
parents were forced to take this crying kid to this Bazaar (not sure what the
name is) to buy the cassette, on our way out of T.Nagar towards the airport.
Mission accomplished, for me- we found it! Unfortunately not everyone was happy
at the end of that day! My parents that is -because we missed the flight back
home! Well, my parents think that we may have made it if I hadn't thrown a
tantrum to buy the cassette and if we didn't have to go out of the way to get
the cassette but I am sure you guys would agree that it was the Chennai
traffic. Not my fault or anything!:)

 P.S: I still cherish that first cassette. Although a bit in tatters , it's
still part of my proud rahman collection.

 *Actually 3, if I have to be honest (arvindasamy too! ) ;)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?   Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

  http://arrahmaniac.blogspot.com