Neetika , more to this story.

Courtesy itwofs.

  *Taal's Raga Dance*  This is NOT an instance of lifting/ copying. Its more
about sound sampling/ use of loops. These are commercially available pieces
and are used by musicians worldwide. Sandeep Chowta did it for the
orchestration of Pyar Tune Kya Kiya's 'Khambakt Ishq' (its a different issue
that he lifted the tune, which was rather blatant!). Al Di Meola's 'Race
with devil on Turkish highway' (1998) has a prelude piece which is EXACTLY
similar to the opening piece in Taal's (1999) 'Raga Dance' music piece by A
R Rahman! Al Di Meola had fellow guitarist Steve Vai collaborating with him
in this number (this song was originally composed by Meola in 1978, for his
album 'Elegant Gypsy' - it was then called 'Race with devil on Spanish
highway'). Strangely enough, you'd not find the Taal piece in Meola's 70s
version. I had found a mention about this in an online message board where
the poster had alleged that Rahman has copied Meola! Just wanted to let this
site's visitors know that this would not amount to copying, since the very
purpose of creating samples and loops is for use by musicians. A
review<http://www.epinions.com/musc_mu-280851>of Meola's album
'Infinite desire' says, "
*Di Meola is nobody's technophobe, so in addition to delicately played
acoustic guitar and piano, many tunes here feature sampling technology and
looped-sounding rhythm tracks"*. Another
review<http://www.epinions.com/content_57850629764>,
on a different note, talking about Meola's music style says, "*Al is joined
by fellow guitarist, Steve Vai, and the two of them race through the complex
number in mind-boggling style and tempo. You can really tell these two cats
like to wail at each other"* - Precisely what I felt when I heard this
eclectic and disparate sounding track!