On 7/23/2008 6:28 PM India Time, _Devanshu Mehta_ wrote:

> I long time ago (about 10 years ago) I had read an interview with
> Rahman that basically said that the song he liked the least among his
> own compositions was "Toofan ki Raat" from Thakshak. He did not want
> to compose it, told the director (Govind Nihalani), but Nihalani
> insisted. After a lot of back and forth between them, Rahman agreed-
> but did not like the song.

I don't agree with ARR here. I like Toofan ki raat a lot. :-)

ha ha ha. if I ever meet ARR, I will tell him what I like in this song,
that might make him also starting to like it. :0)

> Devanshu
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Jahanzeb Farooq
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I was just wondering if "I wanna be free" from Tehzeeb is ARR's worst
>> (or "weakest", a more polite word) composition ever? I could never
>> make myself understand why ARR composed this song in the first place.
>> it is more noise than a song. it has absolutely no "signature" of ARR.

Entire music of Tehzeeb was experimental. pop ghazals, difficult arabic
urdu, and what was remaining was filled by this english incomprehensible
song.

If you listen to entire Tehzeeb album, you might realize that somebody
sort of roughshod ARR into doing all this. :0-)

>> "Rozana" from Lakeer is also a bad compostion but may be not the
>> worst. I never liked it.

I also didn't like it much. In fact I had written that right then in
this forum when Lakeer was released.

But I think I had also written that ARR was trying to experiment by
giving a cheerleader song. And I guess cheerleading songs are that type
only.

Forget the current days of 20-20 when they are hiring the costliest MDs
of the world to compose. Pretty Zinta even approached ARR to compose the
song for her team but ARR refused as there was not much time.

So, chearleading songs originated from schools, colleges where students
were bringing out their creativity but they lacked on resources, and had
less time also, and some inexperience, so the outcome did never matched
up with a bollywood film song.

So, i think ARR might have tried to retain that simplicity in the song,
just composing a song that young, have-nots college boys and girls would
manage to compose.

And he did it well, and didn't give the polish to the song, so it looks
very banal, bare. But I think if you take into consideration the above
scenario, you might find that it is a different type of song.