I don't like to compare composers of different times using blanket
statements. The Indian film industry has a rich history of brilliant
composers, each with their own unique strengths and contributions.
ARR is another in a series of brilliant composers.  Is he THE best
ever? I can't really answer that. Is he THE best to me?  Sure!

What if RD Burman, Madan Mohan, Naushaad, or even Illayaraja etc. had
been alive today with their same talents but with the luxury of sound
technology and computers.  Would their music also reach across globally?
Would love to hear your thoughts.  As far as I'm concerned, nobody has
EVER combined different genres of world music more beautifully than
our ARR.  How does ARR compare to other composers in the past just in
terms of pure melody?  Originality?

Please please please do not turn this discussion into a "Illayaraja is
way better than Rahman" or "RD Burman is nothing compared to AR
Rahman" type of warfare.  I'm just curious to know your thoughts about
the above.