Hi!

My take:

If those legends (Naushad, Anil Biswas, Salil Chaudhary, S.D.Burman,
C.Ramchandra, Madan Mohan, Shankar-Jaikishan, Roshan, Jaidev, O.P.Nayyar,
Kalyanji-Anandji, Hemant Kumar, R.D.Burman,
MSV-TKR, S.Dakshinamurthy, etc) were alive today, the music of ARR would have
been different, not only from theirs, but also from what he is currently
giving.

A peek into what these would have done(assuming that they stick to their
sensibilities, tastes and strengths and assuming that we have an equally rich
audience who appreciate different genres of music equally):

Naushad - He would have created gems with Hindustani Music presneted through
orchestral music format, his strength. and melody plus great orchestral music
always shines.
S.D.Burman - This man was always young at heart and the way he used baul music,
folk music and clasiscal music... amazing. He would have dwarfed
Shankar-Ehsan-Loy may be. He would have used singers to the best advantage and
would have composed soulful and youthful numbers in the same breadth.
Salil Chaudhary - His capability to fuse indian folk and western classical is
unbeatable (many composers drew inspiration from his ideas). So, he would have
been a folksy-counterpart to Naushad.
Shankar-Jaikishan - These folks would have continued to give great orchestral
melodies.
Madan Mohan - He would have given what he has already given, Nothing but the
best of the most melodious music you can ever imagine. Yes, he was the man of
melody.
R.D.Burman - well, This is tricky. because he was, in his times, ahead of his
times. I wonder what all he might have created with those ensemble of
percussions which Sivamani has and then, mixing them with synthesizers and
using someone like Trilok Gurthu to jam with Pt.Hari Prasad Chaurasia and using
a bit of African Music to compose shades of Raag kalavathi which dissolves into
Keeravani and turns up as rabindra Sangeet. Sorry, i cant predict what he would
have done.

If i imagine all the above, ARR will definitely figure out somewhere, but I
think he will be doing something else..different from what he is currently
doing. ARR recently quoted, "You should listen to Ilaiyaraaja's music, it
permeates into body. Such is its impact. I had to deliberately keep away just
to bring in my own style".
Now, the music made by each of the above composers also permeated(and would
have permeated, if they had added advantages of technology) into soul. So, on
that measure, ARR would have done something different, despite having deepest
of the respect for these. He still does...and that is why we see a bit of every
composer above, in some of his songs.

Just my thoughts, at a very broadlevel. I can keep talking, getting into each
of their styles, pros and cons and weight ARR against it..but then, that debate
would be so long-winding, that i dont prefer it in emails. It is good to
discuss all that, face-to-face..exchanging thoughts and citing examples and
playing songs.

Regards
Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla.

http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot.com