Yeah, I also agree that it is not just current technology. It is
creativity and, please allow me to add, intention of the composer.

Same technology today is available to all composers in World, India and
Bollywood, but no other ARR could come up as yet.

I would say those people got outright lost whose intentions were wrong -
those who relied on copying, on getting inspirations, could never do
enough experimentation to come out on their own. But ARR never copied so
he did experimentation and exploration. Thus, the things he rejected
also increased his learning. Others who copied some successful music
lost on this part of learning that had come due to failed experiments.

ARR succeeded because he was comfortable with technology to begin with.
Older people mostly held technology in lesser vain, mostly criticized
newer technology, didn't adopt it quickly, so they lost as the times
changed.

Still, I forcefully say that older people also have a lot of creativity,
good intentions, they did a lot of innovation, exploration,
experimentation. That is how Indian/ bolly music reached a place where
ARR could take over.

Naushad could be called the father of bollywood music whose Rattan
(1944?) was the first film that had music that reached the heart of all
hindi music listeners. I still listen to Rattan's music and it sounds
good to me.

go to wiki naushad page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naushad

and see some of what all experimentations he did in that era. (It is
mostly updated by your friendly neighborhood... he he he).

He was one of those who brought playback music as compared to live
singing while shooting, he got the echo effects first time, he used
100-piece orchestra first time in 1952, but 11 years later he used just
6 instruments for one song, he developed the system of western notation
for bolly music, he used classical singers in bolly music, he used pure
bhojpuri lyrics in a hindi film (1961).

In Barsat (1951), Shankar Jaikishan was the first to use a longer
interlude in Hawa meain udhta jaaye, that became standard right since
then and endures even now. Even ARR follows that.

Several other veterans also had a lot history of innovation and
experimentations that helped bolly music. These all were more than
technology change, it were paradigm shifts, that made it possible for
bolly music to evolve and establish.

So, I can say that, in every era, there had been people who made their
contributions, their sacrifices. They all are greats like ARR is.

The only ones who are not great are copy-cats.

--
Rawat

>>> Vithur