On 8/30/2009 5:51 PM India Time, _Gopal Srinivasan_ wrote:

> This is my first film after the Oscars. So expectations are scary. It's
> important to work with a great team to create great music and we've done
> that with Blue. What's special about Blue is that it's an underwater
> adventure. So, it was very exciting to do this score as a composer. It's
> important that you don't get typecast. It's also important to give the
> kind of music the film requires and have fun with it!
>
> Drown into the music of Blue.
>
> - A.R.Rahman

I find this message disturbing in the sense that he is thinking in terms
of his "Oscar" reputation. That is not like him. Such thoughts are
harmful for any creative person, and more so for a sensitive person that
our man is.

He should remain assured of his creativity and perseverance that have
helped him rise from absolutely nothing to rule bollywood and other
languages' music industries for 18 years, consistently. The same two
assets of him will help him sail through anything through his life.

ARR is the Slumdog Millionaire of Music - the real-life rags to riches.

He didn't get Oscar by lobbying. Oscar came to him, so many awards found
him and came to him - because he was good, he is good and he will remain
good.

Oscar has got him numbers (e.g. 136,566 imdb users), and there would
indeed be many new true fans among these numbers; but these numbers will
dwindle as sharply as they rose. SDM that once rose to 52 in IMDB top
250 (may be higher) has already slipped to 73 as on date. The rise in
popularity that went to 100+% (I think much higher at some time) is just
6% today. People forget fast.

We, his fans of 18 years, are nowhere near those numbers, nor are we
going to dwindle like above. We are with him because of his talent,
because of the quality and consistency, not because of any Oscar or
other awards. He has not got a Grammy so far, but we are with him, and
we will remain with him after he got Grammy. An award from him is more
like a pleasing statistics about him for us, it doesn't really add to
our love for him. It is his music that adds to our love for him.

ARR is a habit for his fans, not a passing fad, not a morning
newspaper's headline that will be replaced by another headline in next
morning's paper.

When he composed SDM, i don't think he had been thinking of composing an
oscar song or an oscar album. It was just like any other film music for
him. Jai Ho, it is said, was any way not for SDM but was composed for
Yuvraj, with Jai Ho refrain itself coined by Subhash Ghai. So an album
or a song getting Oscar didn't require anything additional done by him.
He remained in his elements, true only to his devotion of music, and all
those awards made a queue at his doorsteps.

Now, thinking in terms of maintaining his awardee reputation is going to
restrict his creativity.

I feel that when he enters his recording room, he needs to forget that
he ever got an Oscar or any award. He needs to become the same pre-roja
guy -- simple, honest, experimenting, improvising, doing what his heart
says.

Just thought like sharing this with all of you.

Thanks.
--
Rawat