Anand,

You have hit the nail on the head when it comes to multi layering. I did refer
to specific sections of the soundtrack that had fewer layers that sounded
crystal clear in my earlier mail to highlight this point. I think there are a
few members who do not like the 'busy' flavor of the album which is perfectly
justified.

Also for my untrained ear, it feels that AR moved away from the "Treble rich"
digital sound of the 90s towards a more warm, bass friendly  "analogish" sound
in the 2000s. For example you do not hear the "sound" of En Swaasa Katrea or
Kabhi Na Kabhi any more. There have been several posts on this forum lamenting
that AR does not make music like he used to before.

Now, a decade is a long time when it comes to technology, AR overhauled his
studio equipment too and more importantly he always strives to innovate. Plus
his programmers have been changing and they do contribute to the sound.
Sometimes these changes may be to our personal preference aand sometimes they
are not. I personally was not fully appreciative of his sound in the early
2000s including Yuva and right up to Rang De Basanti especially with his Rhythm
section. It all changed for me with the vibrant and youthful guitar strumming
of Kabhi Kabhi Aditi.

>From the promos of Blue, one gets an impression that they are positioning this
>film as a sophisticated and slick thriller. I think Blue spent a lot of time
>in "Post production" if one can borrow that phrase and the umpteen vocoder
>effects and distorted guitar sounds point in that direction. There are very
>few sections of the soundtrack (Yaar Mila Tha) that are not heavily made up
>and tweaked.

Given the fact that this is AR's first release post academy awards and from his
own rare liner notes about expectations,  I'd find it extremely hard to imagine
that AR would let shoddy and inferior recordings pass muster. If the sound is
not likable that is another story... :-) :-)

PV