There had been very beautiful romantic duets later to Jeans as well.
Tu bin bataye is the most fav duet there's no dancing and acting funnily in
that song. Kismat se tum from Pukaar is executed very beautifully. Why would
somebody forget Tere bina from Guru, baadal from Yuva, Azhage Sugama (Parthale
Paravasam), Ishq bina, Taal se taal mila from Taal, 2 songs from TLOBS, O re
chori (Lagaan)...list would go on. They all came later to Jeans and each song
has its own experience which only takes an openness to listen and enjoy than
being prejudice. I can talk hours about this song to prove they are no short of
Jeans. Jeans had only 2 romantic duets among them I like Ajooba (Jeans) very
much for the scintillating flute in the interlude and the manipulated flute
sounds followed by amazing lyrics. But I dont like haira haira so much.
Of course there are excellent duets and AR is a master in it, pudu vellai
mazhai (Yeh haseen vaadiya), Tu hi re were the duets which AR did which make
ppl feel his genius. I am surprised to know AR being not keen and still
composes wonderful duets.
my interpretation of AR not being keen with duets is that he doesnt like the
typical formula of how a duet is done and the directors feel AR isn't
compliant.
May be that AR doesn't wish to see his duet shot like the lead characters
dancing like puppets in foreign locations, that's how is majority of duets are
been shot by the directors these days (earlier too).
I remember reading some director had even mentioned AR is very romantic person
by heart!! I guess its KSR himself not sure though.