IMHO, the pattern is used by quite a few MDs. In fact, I'd venture to say that
dhuns (sung for bhajans), or qawalis have the same concept where the tune is
repeated twice in chorus and then the third line extends it for the solo voice.

However, what is definitely interesting, previously pointed out, and made
popular by ARR is his approach for PHRASE REPETITION. Consider:

Dil hai chotasa
 --- chotisi aasha
Masti bhare mann ki
 --- bholisi aasha

In two lines, the word aasha appears twice and has a powerful impact. This can
be observed many times:

TAAL
'Ishq bina' kya jeen yara
'Ishq bina' kya marna

RDB
'Thodisi dhool' mere dharti ..
'Thodisi dhool' mere...

MEENAXI
'Yeh rishta'...
'Yeh rishta' kya kehlata hai
'Yeh rishta' kya kehlata hai

SAATHIYA (very very unique experiment, where each line takes the previous line
forward)
Jhooth kapat chalke ne...
Jhooth kapat chalke ne...moh se naina
  moh se naina ...milaike
  moh se naina ...milaike
Palko mein bandh karleni
Palko mein bandh karleni

DILLI6
'Rehna tu hai jaise tu' thodasa dard tu, thoda junoon
'Rehna tu hai jaise tu' dheema dheema jhonka ya phir junoon

BLUE
In the song...Bhoola tujhe..
the repetition of the phrase 'ya khuda'

-Ricky