Great topic, Chord . I too agree with Ram. It is traditionally believed that
geniuses more or less have some vice (arrogance,etc ). Their brilliance in
one area gives the leeway in the other , probably ;) That is thought to
enhance their music rather than take away from it. There are stories of
great Carnatic musicians who are very arrogant and short tempered.

The fact that Rahman is a genius without these vices, definitely adds to the
aura around him.

Warm Regards
Vinayak

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rightplacerighttime/