However, if it is a commissioned artist, say, you hire a painter to do

draw your mom's or dad's portrait, or yourself's, and what he draws

you don't like, you don't think that his portrait is expressing the

qualities you would like to see on the pic face of your mom or dad, or

on your own pic face. Of course, it is because you never briefed him

properly beforehand what feel or expression you wanted in the

portrait. But, whatever the history, if you don't like the portrait,

you would rather expect the artist to touch it up, OR, you would tear

off that painting, or dump that somewhere even after paying the artist

full money, and you would commission some other artist and on and on,

unless you get what you want. Customer is the king.

But whatever improvements or changes needed would have been conveyed during the
process of making the art and not after the final product has been given to
you, am I right? Likewise the customer in this case i.e. the Government has
approved of the song prior to the release. So it's ridiculous to turn around
and ask ARR to redo his song now, simply because someone else (Opposition,
media) doesn't seem to like it. The act not only insults ARR as the composer
but would also makes us to question the Government's judgment in approving the
song in the first place.

sorry for repeating it 3rd time, but ARR has retouched his work

previously as per directors' requirements. Ranjha Ranjha has a film

version that was not in the CDs, chiggy wiggy has got some indian

voice version when some copyright issue had come up from Kylie's

contract, I guess. Palanhare of lagaan has a film version had

different voice than the CD version. Gopala of humse has muqabla has a

different lyrics in film version (hindi) than in the cassettes.

The songs that were mentioned by your goodself had changes only as far as the
singers or lyrics are concerned, not the tune itself. In that sense, the above
changes cannot be categorised as "ARR has retouched his work".

On the other hand, Ranjha Ranjha's situation was totally different. The
original tune was there in the film (at least it was there in the Tamil
version). An additional and different version of the song (the pathos number)
was composed only to accomodate the situation of the film. No one knows whose
idea it was- it could be ARR's or Mani's, but one thing was clear- the tune was
definitely not composed to replace the original number.

The other aspect is, Jai Ho's pussycat version might have gone more

popular in foreign countries just because it was in a language they

could understand. So, what if some other MD releases a remix version

of CWG theme that gets more popular than ARR's original, say Himesh or

Anu Malik or Pritam releases a remix CWG? Then, wouldn't it be a

further war among skills of both the MDs? ARR's skills are undisputed,

so it will be bad seeing some other MD of lesser skills getting

prominence over him.

I very sure that we would not be facing a situation where Anu Malik or Himesh
releases a remix of CWG in near future. Not when ARR himself is particular
about the copyright of his songs. In fact, Jai Ho's pussycat version was
possible because ARR had the rights of the song and he agreed for the
collaboration. And there was also a purpose for new version- ARR particularly
wanted to new version to reach out to the western market and hence the
collaboration.

But the situation with CWG is totally unclear. Some wanted the song to have an
English version, some wanted a more Indianized tune. Some wanted it to be
soulful, some wants it to be of high tempo. With all these different views,
what chances are there that the new version will satisy all parties (or any
parties) concerned? In my opinion, redoing the song is pointless and will
result in nothing more than a wild-goose chase.