From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Axton Grams
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 3:19 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

Subject: Re: Advantages/Disadvantages between platforms running Remedy

MSSQL Advantages:
- Case insensitive

MS OS Disadvantages:
- When things break a reboot is in order, when things really break a rebuild is in order
- c api development typically requires purchasing an MS compiler and learning an MS tool
- Open software sometimes has trouble working properly/reliably and is subject to breaking with MS updates

UNIX Advantages:
- people proficient in unix/linux can actually investigate and resolve issues
- Open software usually works

UNIX Disadvantages:
- expensive hardware

Linux/MS Advantages:
- cheap hardware

Some questions to ask that I can't answer:
- Is clustering more robust in unix/linux environment?

Apart from a technological standpoint, there are other things to consider:
- what skills are at your disposal in your organization?
- what skills do your remedy people have?

Axton Grams