Shawn, you mentioned something that flicked a switch in my mind when you
were talking about the KBs as part of an ITIL process.  My ITIL foundations
class featured the BMC Airport Simulator, led by Mr. Atwell Williams (both
of which I heartily recommend).  The entire point of the simulation was to
show the value of pushing resolution data as close to the source of the
problem as was practical, with the goal to minimize outage times.  Given
that, a stronger emphasis on self-service is a natural thing that is not at
odds with ITIL, but is being hamstrung by the limitations on the
self-service data we're allowed to see.

BMC, if you're going to make us do more work ourselves, give us the proper
tools with which to do it.  Open up the KB, and make it more usable,
starting with your base search criteria.  Why on earth can I not select
"Remedy Help Desk", or "CMDB" on the full product list?  If I select Service
Desk, I can only select v7.0, which must be what - 2% of the installed ITSM
base?  How am I supposed to know how to find the KBs for the other versions?
For CMDB, I can only select products associated with it - not the CMDB
itself.  This is indicative of the BMC folks trying to do Remedy stuff -
they just aren't up to the task.

To do this the half-assed way it's currently being done serves neither the
customers nor the support staff well.  To be honest, to really make it work
right, BMC would have to get out of the way of the Remedy people who were
pretty much doing it right before you came along.

Rick
  _____