Rick, some days, you're practically poetic.

Maybe we should march on Houston in protest.

J Meyer

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Cook
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 6:50 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BMC Support Doesn't

**
Shawn, you mentioned something that flicked a switch in my mind when you
were talking about the KBs as part of an ITIL process.  My ITIL
foundations class featured the BMC Airport Simulator, led by Mr. Atwell
Williams (both of which I heartily recommend).  The entire point of the
simulation was to show the value of pushing resolution data as close to
the source of the problem as was practical, with the goal to minimize
outage times.  Given that, a stronger emphasis on self-service is a
natural thing that is not at odds with ITIL, but is being hamstrung by
the limitations on the self-service data we're allowed to see.

BMC, if you're going to make us do more work ourselves, give us the
proper tools with which to do it.  Open up the KB, and make it more
usable, starting with your base search criteria.  Why on earth can I not
select "Remedy Help Desk", or "CMDB" on the full product list?  If I
select Service Desk, I can only select v7.0, which must be what - 2% of
the installed ITSM base?  How am I supposed to know how to find the KBs
for the other versions?  For CMDB, I can only select products associated
with it - not the CMDB itself.  This is indicative of the BMC folks
trying to do Remedy stuff - they just aren't up to the task.

To do this the half-assed way it's currently being done serves neither
the customers nor the support staff well.  To be honest, to really make
it work right, BMC would have to get out of the way of the Remedy people
who were pretty much doing it right before you came along.

Rick