However, the 1.x CMDB is available for ITSM 6 (which pretty closely
resembles 5.x), and there should soon be a white paper (BMC keeps promising
it, anyway) that will tell us how to map ITSM 6 to CMDB 2.0.1.  So one does
not have to upgrade to ITSM 7 to use the CMDB.

Roger is correct that at least a cursory analysis should be done just to
make sure.  I will say that many mid-sized to small orgs are making the
choice to upgrade to ARS 7, but keep ITSM at 5.x or 6, at least for now.

Rick