Set up a clean (new) db as part of the installation of ARS 9.

All the defs and data will be copied through tools using the ARS api  (dev
studio for defs, rrrchive for data).

The new and old server names should NOT be the same.

Typically, the official production server name should be a DNS alias that is
changed to point to the current prod server.

For example: ‘RemProd’ is a dns alias that points to ‘oldserver’ until the
cut-over; at which point, the alias is modified to point to ‘newserver’.

This approach will also support DR fall-over: change the alias record to point
to the hot back-up until the prod is fixed.

By copying form old to new, you’ll have the added benefit of discarding any
‘bad data’ that may have developed in the old server.

If, say, a selection menu has had a value removed, or a field property has been
changed, but the old values still reside in a record.

The data import will reject the invalid values, allowing you to examine the
record and choose to either skip it of fix it on the new server.

I had a client with so many bad records (100% custom app) that it was causing
crashes.

After the upgrade and clean-up, all was well.

HTH,

Joel. Joel Sender    jdsen...@earthlink.net    310.829.5552