Offline access is the biggest feature I would want too. I prefer to let my
device do its work (download, sort, filter and whatever else that an
interface like email or an app would do), so I can view I and interact with
it whenever and wherever I am at even if not online.

I do not really care about the digest either as even when it is and was
available, I barely ever used it.

Features I would have personally liked for a forum in no particular order of
weight or preference are:

*       Offline Access
*       Notifications of messages
*       Ability to create a Personal Archive to a set of folders for easy
access in future so searches for something specific could be restricted to
those particular folders
*       Ability to correspond offline to an individual whenever need be
(such as replying to job postings etc) - nice to have but not that
important.
*       Ability to sort messages off keywords into a folder like mechanism
like we do on ARS List emails using subject line prefixes..
*       Delete irrelevant content (quite important) using individual
perspective rather than just having moderators do it at a admin level..
Without this it means any search performed would display all results
including irrelevant content from a users perspective.

These are only some of the things I can think from the top of my head.. Some
of this you can already do with Communities - while all of this is possible
through an email delivery system or maybe an app if it is designed to allow
all this.

Joe

  _____