If you just want the incident table sorted in order of older INC's at the
top, you can sort by incident ID# or Submit time and accomplish that. No
workflow or fields needed, just a wee bit of training. Standard column sort
behavior should already work on the table -- click the Inc# column header
to sort ascending; click the Inc# column header again to sort descending.
Unless you have support staffers who open a new Incident window first thing
in the morning and let it sit for hours/days before actually submitting it
(although possible, should be the rare, unusual case), then the lowest Inc#
should have the oldest submit date (or if not, it should be reasonably
close).

If I'm understanding the need correctly, I don't see any compelling reason
to modify the system in this case, when a bit of user training should
suffice.

Thanks,
-JDHood