The problem isn't that I'm getting an error.  The problem is the way all
errors are displayed.  If an error occurs during submission of a record,
the error message includes the field id rather than the field name.  If an
error occurs during modification of a record, the error includes the field
name.  It doesn't matter what the error message is.  It happens on all
system errors that include a field reference.  Logging is no help because
I can see the cause for the error, but as I mentioned, it's not the cause
of the error message, but the format of the error message that is at issue.