From: "Anderson, Douglas W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Friday, 23 February, 2007 3:43:19 AM
Subject: Re: DST - another thing.

Re: DST - another thing.**

Hi Claire,

You're right, of course, and not just about ARS.

The server admins (UNIX, Windows, RDBMS, etc.) here are all stretched to the
max patching for DST.  I'll bet every one of those patches is just a rehash of
the prior implementation - which required patching. Given the vagaries of the
US Congress and other legislative bodies, I couldn't help thinking when this
all started that DST rules are data and ought to be externalized accordingly,
not hard-coded. Then the next time someone changes the rules, we'd only need to
swap out a data file and restart.

Ah well, maybe next time. Or maybe we ought to have filed for a patent on the
idea?

Peace,

Doug Anderson

Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not necessarily those of the Mayo
Foundation.