> However, (of course, you were expecting a however), I would like to
see a patch that went out and did not cause additional issues.

I agree.  My understanding is that there are some internal reviews
occurring around the topic of patch quality.  I can't really go into
details, but it is an issue being talked about.

> In a patch, do they release any new functionality, or simply work to
fix issues?

Under current policy, patches may only contain defect fixes. Sometimes,
though, the distinction between a defect and an enhancement can get
downright philosophical - so minor changes to, or an extension of,
existing functionality may be present in a patch because it may be the
only way to address what is advocated as a defect.

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager, Service Management Business Unit
BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed
in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.
My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a
role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for
BMC Software, Inc.