Well ... went ahead and did the v7.0.1P1 install and it cured the portmapper
problem.  Now the ARS server won't start.  There were no errors in the
install log until the very end when it was trying to start the service.  I
find it somewhat humorous that it asks you to do something you cannot to
correct the problem, import the samples ... lol

The entries from the install log:

17:00:55 Setup created the AR System License File directory: C:\Program
Files\Common Files\AR System\Licenses\remsrv
17:00:55 Registry Key successfully set:
17:00:55     Key: Software\Remedy\ARServer\remsrv
17:00:55     Name: ArMonitorConfigFile
17:00:55     Value: C:\Program Files\AR System\remsrv\conf\armonitor.cfg
17:00:55 Installing services...
17:00:55 ****->[ShowMsg]: Installing services...
17:00:59 Portmapper service installed successfully.
17:00:59 Installed server service: Remedy Action Request System Server
17:00:59 Registry Key successfully set:
17:00:59     Key: Software\Remedy\ARServer\remsrv
17:00:59     Name: ServiceName
17:00:59     Value: Remedy Action Request System Server
17:00:59 Registry Key successfully set:
17:00:59     Key: Software\Remedy\ARServer\remsrv
17:00:59     Name: InstPort
17:00:59     Value: 1
17:00:59 Registry Key successfully set:
17:00:59     Key: Software\Remedy\ARServer\remsrv
17:00:59     Name: Language
17:00:59     Value:
17:00:59 ****->[ShowMsg]: Starting services...
17:01:02 ****->[ShowMsg]: Starting AR System Portmapper Service.
17:01:05 Checking for service: AR System Portmapper
17:01:05 Specified service is installed: AR System Portmapper
17:01:05 Trying to start the service: AR System Portmapper
17:01:08 Waited 5 secs for service to start.
17:01:08 Service has been started: AR System Portmapper
17:01:08 ****->[ShowMsg]: Starting AR System Server Service.
17:01:11 Checking for service: Remedy Action Request System Server
17:01:11 Specified service is installed: Remedy Action Request System Server
17:01:11 Trying to start the service: Remedy Action Request System Server
17:01:13 ****->[ERROR]: Failed to start the service: Remedy Action Request
System Server
17:01:13 ****->[ERROR]: Unable to start the AR System Server service
17:01:16 ****->[ERROR]: The AR System Server could not be started. You can
start it manually using the Services icon in the Control Panel.
This error occurred after the installation of the AR System was completed.
To correct this error, import the sample applications from the samples
subdirectory.
17:01:24 ****->[ERROR]: Failed to complete AR Server installation.

I can sql into the database so I know it's up.

What could be causing this?

Thanks,
Susan