Susan,

I posted this a couple of weeks ago. The install was for SQL 2000 to 2005, but
I thought I would post it anyway because of the correlation to the portmapper
issue that you have encountered (step 9 specific). As for why 7 won't start, I
didn't experience those issues going from 6.3 P21 to 7.01 P1:

Eric,

Is SQL 2005 supported for 6.03? I didn't think it was.

However,

I just went through several upgrades with a customer from 5.1.2 to 6.03 on
several boxes, but this was under SQL 2000. But, I did do the same steps listed
below when I took them from 6.0.3 to 7.0.1 with SQL 2005. I'm not sure of the
order that everything was installed in your environment, but the procedure
listed below has worked successfully for me, time and time again. Based on not
knowing the steps that you have taken to get to this point, this would be my
recommendation to follow if the ARSystem DB will even run on SQL 2005.

1) Start with SQL 2000 on the Dev Box.
2) Restore a good 5.1.2 2000 backup to it - Run the scripts "tfserver" etc. to
remove server references, the command to change ownership of all forms / views
to dbo, and then change the dbowner to ARAdmin.
3) Run the 6.0.3 (NO PATCH) Server install against the SQL 2000 DB.
4) Validate successful implementation by logging into the User Tool.
5) Backup ARSystem DB.
6) Uninstall SQL 2000
7) Install SQL 2005
8) Change dbowner back to ARAdmin - You might have to add that login first in
the SQL 2005 Manager (I did).
9) Make sure you reboot your App Server before continuing - (There is a problem
with the installer that I have been able to repeat. If you keep running the
installers, something gets jacked up with the Portmap.exe. It is almost as
though too many registry entries get created (not uninstalled / re-installed).
If I reboot after running the installer twice, I will get an Explorer message
upon reboot about the Portmap.exe dying. This will cause the Server to go out
to lunch because it can't find the correct port mapper entry to use. Just FYI!
- I have been able to reproduce this problem numerous times).
10) Run the 6.0.3 Patch 21 Server Install against  the SQL 2005 DB
11) Validate successful implementation by logging into the User Tool.

Thanks,

G. Rogers