Rick,
As you well know, you are not the only one struggling with this issue. The
only thing I will say that I see as a "potential problem" is that your Tier
2 categorization is generally covered by the Service Type field.

For Instance:
Categorization Tier 1: Application
Categorization Tier 2: Request
Categorization Tier 3: Installation
Service Type: User Service Request

Categorization Tier 1: Application
Categorization Tier 2: Problem
Categorization Tier 3: Connectivity
Service Type: User Service Restoration

(With the Service Type field in the mix, it just seems kind of redundant to
me).

I realize that many new implementations of Remedy ITSM require consultants
to steer the customer "in the right direction" while upgrades or
transitions from one version to another usually does not because the
customer base is now "used to" the set of categorizations already in place.
All that being said, however, I would, if possible, present the customer
with a small set of options and allow them to choose what they think best
suits their needs.

Scott Parrish
IT Prophets, LLC