Well it sounds from your description like you already know how to do it.

Create the hidden Escalate Time field and make that a Date/Time field.

Create a filter that populates that field on Submit with $TIMESTAMP$ +
whatever your escalation time is in seconds.  I'm assuming here that
that's a static time for all support groups in the system.

The catch is that the escalation has to run fairly frequently...maybe
every 15 minutes or so.

The escalation's Run If should be something along the lines of, if
$TIMESTAMP$ > Escalate Time AND Priority = "Critical" AND Status <
Whatever the number for Critical is.