        From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Sundberg
        Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 9:50 AM
        To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
        Subject: Re: BUW 2007 Track Sessions Announced

        ** Agreed.

        I think ARS needs to be more pronounced as the benefit of the system.

        Meaning - ITIL is a commoditizer. If ITSM 7 is ITIL -- and the next
product (1/50 the cost) is also ITIL -- it will be a hard sell to mgmt that
they have to have BMC ARS....

        Now - if they change it to be ARS is an service management (generic vs
just IT) platform of which it has applications like ITSM (Service Desk, Problem
Mgmt, Asset Mgmt, CMDB) etc... -- and has tools and strategies for extending
into other areas -- then it is an easier sell. The real sell is the platform -
and the direction/vision. However -- the platform (ARS) -- needs to have a life
of its own - and be respectable on its own -- not shunned.

        And they need to communicate that it has other applications like:
Customer Support, Project Management, HR application tracking, HR Issue
management, Facilities Management, etc...

        Then companies will be standardizing on a service framework. With that
being the case - it will be hard for a company who has an ITIL app (at 1/50th
the cost) -- to compete. They may have a story for ITIL processes -- but it
would be a huge leap for them to compete against all the offerings.

        So - how does BMC do this?

        I know of partners that have the apps already:
        BMC has:
        ITSM , etc...
        -Customer Support
        -Citizen Response

        Kinetic Data has:
        -Kinetic Request -- Service Request Management System
        -Kinetic Survey -- Enterprise Feedback Management System
        -Kinetic Field - Field Service Management System

        Project Remedies has:
        -Project Management

        cMango/Wipro has:
        - HR Application

        Now if BMC would gather the partners - and create a partner program
that encourages collaboration and consistency across the apps provided -- then
a cohesive message can be delivered. BMC could have had something like Appforce
by Salesforce.com -- if they had planned. (I had this conversation 4+ years ago
with marketing at Remedy - but it did not go anywhere) I think they could still
pull it off - but it takes commitment (and changes of course)

        Changes/challeges:
        If BMC were to do this - they would naturally see and have early
involvement with organizations who are doing "great things" -- and they would
want to move into that app space and take all the revenue (note: Kinetic
Request and newScale Service Center). But - they must contain themselves or
they actually kill the market - as successful organizations that join the
partner program actually lose by joining. So - BMC continues to own and improve
their core offering of ARS itself and the existing apps - but BMC must control
itself from eating its partners who are expanding the vision in ways that they
had not predicted.

        Other notes:
        BMC licensing to change:
        You buy the server and developer licenses.
        For your apps (Service Desk, CMDB, etc...) BMC charges user licenses.
        For access to the server itself -- FREE.(read or write)

        So - a Kinetic Data with Kinetic Field would be strengthening the
overall service management platform (a win for BMC (harder to displace with
commodity ITIL) -- Kinetic Data would be a able to sell it's apps at what the
market will accept (without the BMC user license overhead -- which kills the
deal for many apps) (a win for Kinetic Data) -- and customers now can leverage
their investment (people/training/servers/infrastructure) in ARS across a
number of service related products (a win for the customer)

        I think it would be cool - and I think it is a vision that people could
comprehend (aka buy).

        So again - BMC creates a true knowledge share / non-competitive partner
program. BMC sells the ARS platform as the framework. (customers win, BMC wins,
partners win, and ARS fanatics - well - they stay fanatics (and the ARS world
does not die))

        -John