Knowledge base entry KM-000000011522 may help starting email.

My email engine stops periodically.  I'm just trying to set up what I
thought was going to be easy email and it's turning into hassle email.  If I
do something in my testing that it doesn't like it then stops sending emails
altogether.  I also cannot seem to get html templates to send.

I found just stop/start on the email service didn't work.  I had to do the
emailstart bat file.

Good luck,
Susan