First, I apologize if this message is a repeat.  I got a bounce message
saying
it was not posted.  It is an important message so I wanted to send it
again to
make sure that it got posted.

Recently, there has been another thread on this list that has discussed
issues/
challenges/concerns/praises (yes, there have been a couple of those as
well if
you go back and read ALL the messages) for the support team and support
interaction with BMC.

The support team wanted me to forward a note to you all with some
comments.

< see the attached word document >

I also wanted to add a few thoughts of my own on the subject:

There is a committed and dedicated team of support engineers here
working to
help you, our customers.  When I interact with the support team -- from
the
front line engineers to the second line through to the escalation team
-- they
all have the focus of helping the customer to succeed.  I have not seen
this
passion and focus on the customer diminish.  And, there have been some
recent
posts from folks who have been the beneficiaries of these engineers
going out
of their way and out of bounds to help on critical situations.

ON THE OTHER HAND, have there been issues/problems?  Absolutely.  Are
there
improvements that need to be made.  Absolutely.  Are there issues
ranging from
training to support infrastructure that can be improved?  Absolutely.

Are these areas being worked on?  Absolutely.  And, I hope you are
seeing some
of the impact of these changes already and you will see more as the
change
continues.

The end goal of the customer support team is to provide an exemplary
support
experience.  This is whether you are simply interacting with the web
site to find
some data or you have a question you need to speak to someone about or
you
(on those hopefully rare occasions) have a flaw or failure you really
need some
assistance with.

There has been a significant restructuring and transition of the support
team.
Yes, that means that some long term knowledgeable staff have moved to
new roles
and that there is a larger than usual group of new support staff.  Yes,
that
means that some of the support staff is in different locations than
before.
There remains work to do in this area with making sure that everyone on
the team
has all the knowledge they need and have the skills (including things
like
language skills in some cases) that they need.  The team is committed to
resolving these issues.

Although the transition has caused some challenge in some areas, it has
also
provided some benefit in others in terms of having folks available at
wider hours
for key issues.  We need to make sure that these benefits are retained
while
working through and eliminating any issues from the transition.

I would hope you are seeing improvements for any area where you have had
problem and those improvements should continue.

The team has had a major focus over the past 4 to 6 months on improving
the
interaction with customers -- especially via the web site.

Delivered
   Automated temp licensing site for all Remedy licenses
      This has removed a major source of frustration from customers and
partners
      about getting temp licenses and delays in this process

Coming soon
   Mid-tier upgrade to 7.1
       Resolves issues with browser compatibility with Firefox
specifically,
       improves performance, more capability
   KM changes
       Shifting to using the RKM product for KM to provide better
searching,
       access to more data sources -- including documents
   General web site improvements
       More efficient and better structure in many places on the web
site.
       Simpler, more efficient product lists.  Cleaner, clearer
interaction.

Internally
   Improvements on the customer support application and interactions to
give
       the support engineers better access to data about you and about
the
       system so they can help you more efficiently
   Training -- both hard and soft skills -- is a continuing focus

These are just a sample of some of the types of things being done.  I
have been
working with the team on a number of them and I know that they are
commited to
making it happen and improvements are getting out there.  There are some
more
creative ideas behind this set of changes that will come after these
roll out.

At the end of the day, I see a support team who remains committed to you
and to
making you successful.  There were a large number of changes very
quickly in the
support organization that have caused some disruption and some
challenges -- that
is clear and obvious internally and unfortunately, it is visible in too
many
cases externally as well.  There is dedicated effort to do better.

I strongly encourage you to take advantage of the feedback path offered
in the
message from the support team.  They want to hear about challenges or
issues.  It
is an important set of input to understand what needs to be fixed.  They
are
committed to listening to that feedback and working to correct the
underlying
issues that are causing challenges.  By the way, it is OK to use that
path (or
other more traditional paths like the survey feedback) to tell them what
is going
well or when improvements show up that correct challenges.  They can
always use
the good feedback too!

Doug Mueller