LJ,

That is my understanding.

Be default the prefetch is done on "start of the Servelet Engine" and
not after a "dump cache". (But maybe that changed in v7.1?)

Mid-Tier-710.pdf pg: 78
"
If you flush the cache in the Configuration Tool, any prefetched forms you
specified beforehand are flushed from the memory cache. The prefetch process
is performed again for these forms the next time the web server is restarted.
"

So it looks like it did not change to me. However the doc also says this:

Mid-Tier-710.pdf pg: 73
"
Click Flush cache to update the objects already in the cache with the
latest versions on the
AR System server.
"

So... maybe some of the docs were not fully updated for v7.1? Or maybe
some portion of them is just misleading? (or both?)

( ignoring the dump cache button for the moment )
If you have the "Persistent Cache option" turned on, and you restart
the Mid-Tier it would, spend time serializing the cached objects then
likely would update only the "prefetch" objects on startup, but would
also still have any other objects that were successfully serialized
during the last shutdown too. (However, there are also some
interesting performance tuning notes about a possible need to alter
your shutdown time/processes to allow for the objects to be serialized
too. The comments are specific to Tomcat, but I would think that the
same issues would apply to all Servlet containers.)

Now exactly how that all works with the "Flush cache" feature...
  My guess is that the flush cache simply deallocates the in memory
cache and nothing else. It _might_ not even remove all of the
serialized objects. Possibly, and maybe especially if you immediately
shutdown the servelet engine.  If so then a flush followed by a
shutdown should yield no new serialized objects and would lead to "no
extra" startup time. (Because the prefetch process likely just fetches
the objects even if they are already current.) However, if the
"Persistent Cache" option is used then the Flush followed by a
shutdown sequence might be faster than without the Persistent Cache
option. It might be that the previously serialized files might still
be left laying around on the file system and the startup process might
still benefit from them. Well, that is when these serialized objects
really have not changed. :) (or so one would hope.)

For a test system....
 You might be ahead to simply decrease the "Definition change check
interval" setting (to something small like 5 or 10) and let the
Mid-Tier just manage its cache "normally". Assuming they have all the
details working properly then I would bet that would be the most
effective path.

You could make the change, wait 15 minutes, then send the email to the
testing team. :) Yes they might see it sooner than that... but that
should not confuse them to much, even if they were working at those
exact minutes. :)

For production deployments... the same config might be your best bet.
The cost of checking if the objects have been updated should be very
small for the application/web server.

HTH

--
Carey Matthew Black