Hi Gidd,

When you read Service Strategy, the first book in the ITIL V.3. series, the
first topic discussed on page 3 is transaction costs.  Simply stated, and the
authors go into more detail starting on page 97, you want to know the cost for
each request.  We know that there are 3 types of requests: small ones,
medium-sized ones and large ones (i.e. projects).  There are 3 elements of
cost: resource cost i.e. time, expenses and asset cost.

Since our ActionProgram Manager runs on the AR System server and includes time
and expense tracking functionality for all Remedy-based tasks: help desk tasks,
change tasks, project tasks (which are all related to requests) and "other"
tasks not related requests, if you are using Remedy's Asset Management system
(or a home-grown AR System-based asset mgt system or an asset mgt. system from
another vendor that you have integrated with the AR System), you have all costs
in one system.  The costs are tracked at the task level and you can relate each
task to a request.  If you associate a revenue figure with the request (for
example, the cost to install a PC is $100), since you also have the cost, you
can approach a P&L statement for each request, and summarize to each type of
request.  Since you know who the requestor is and the Business Unit they work
for, you can also approach a P&L statement for each business unit IT is
serving.  We call this a Demand Management or Service Request Management
Framework, and you can find a datasheet about this on our home page
(www.pri-us.com) or call me and I can discuss it with you and demonstrate it if
you like, or come to UserWorld.  The datasheet has a helpful diagram showing
all of this in more detail.

By the way, if you do this, you also know what each person in IT is working on.
 This is Resource Mgt. at the detailed level.  Our IT Project Portfolio Manager
covers resource mgt. at a skills (macro) level.

And this is why you want an integrated solution rather than a group of
disparate products.  Disparate products will then require the timely and
expensive integration project to bring all the data together, so that's why I
say that getting MS Project Server or any other PM system for that matter is
like shooting yourself in the foot.  It takes you away from understanding
transaction costs rather than helping you understand transaction costs.

This is what the authors of Service Strategy are talking about, and this is
what our solution addresses.  That's all I'm implying.

And by the way, thanks for asking.

Stan