**If this post becomes a duplicate, I apologize.
Another one was sanitized, says yahoo, and hasn't
turned up yet. This one doesn't have real looking
URLs, so should go through**

This one is for those of you running a server group
with load balancer(s). I'm trying to make sure
settings for 'server name', 'server connect name' etc
parameters right.

I have 2 ARS Servers (ARS1, ARS2) and 2 Midtier
Servers (MT1, MT2).

The idea is to have a load balancer ARSLB in front of
ARS1 and ARS2 and refer to this combination with DNS
name ARSServer.

Then have MT1 and MT2 point to server ARSServer. And
have a load balancer (MTLB) in front of MT1 and MT2
and have a name, say, Remedy, resolve to this
combination.

I already have load balancer MTLB in front of Midtier
servers and "Remedy" resolves to the mid-tier
combination fine. I do NOT have ARSLB configured in
front of ARS1, ARS2 yet. Server Group Ranking form has
higher rank for ARS1 for all operations.

Admin operations (done on ARS1) are very slow and some
days time out consistently. On troubleshooting, some
configuration parameters seem out of whack.

This is how ar.conf looks in ARS1--
Server-Connect-Name:ARS1
IP-Name: ARS1
IP-Name: ARS1 DOT company DOT com
Map-IP-Address: 10.3.3.6

In ARS2--
Server-Name: Remedy
Server-Connect-Name: ARS2
IP-Name: ARS2
IP-Name: ARS2 DOT company DOT com
Map-IP-Address: 10.3.3.7

Note the discrepancy in Server-Name between the two
(ARS1 doesn't have any), and also the fact that
"Remedy" is the alias that we want to resolve to the
Midtier combination, not ARS server combination. It
also happens to match the Server Group Name.

I am working on making some corrections. Can somebody
validate this new scenario:

ar.conf for ARS1.
Server-Name:ARSServer      <--- change
Server-Connect-Name:ARS1
IP-Name: ARS1
IP-Name: ARS1 DOT company DOT com
Map-IP-Address: 10.3.3.6

ar.conf for ARS2
Server-Name:ARSServer      <----change
Server-Connect-Name: ARS2
IP-Name: ARS2
IP-Name: ARS2 DOT company DOT com
Map-IP-Address: 10.3.3.7

Have DNS resolve ARSServer to ARSLB.
Keep the Server Group Name as "Remedy".

Ok so far?

Then on each Mid-tier servers' configuration screens,
add server "ARSServer". Right now each Midtier is
pointing to one of the ARS servers, MT1 pointing to
ARS1 and MT2 pointing to MT2.

Any issue you see with the new plan?

ARS 7.0.1, p3, ITSM 7.0.3. Win 2003 with MS SQL 2005.

Bonus:
I am in the process of preparing 3 servers for
development environment. As of now, no plan to have
server group/load balancer there, just use one each
for db, ars and midtier. I will go with the name
similar to "ARServerDev". And hope code migrations
don't become a headache.

Please tell me if you see any issue with my plan.

http://mail.yahoo.com