"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Increase the max heap size the email engine can allocate.  If you still see
the same error, increase the max heap some more.  The email engine, by
default (starting with 7.0.1), caches all groups and users in memory, which
requires a great deal of memory and isn't realistic for servers with a large
number of users and groups.  There is a setting that can be used to disable
this behavior (in which case the group/users will be cached on demand) in
the emaildaemon.properties configuration file.

Also check Rick and Roney's suggestions.  It could be that you've hit some
type of defect in the email engine (they've been known to happen) where some
type of message is causing the process to die.

Axton Grams