> I thought Floating Licenses were less expensive because they were
> not always available.

A Fixed license must be assigned to only one person.  In other words, if
that person only works 8 hours a day, then the fixed license is only
used 8 hours a day.  However, the fixed license user is assured that
they will always be able to get a write license.

A floating license can be used by anyone if it is available.  Thus if
you have 3 employees each working an 8 hour shift (day, swing,
graveyard) then they could all use the same license - just not at the
same time.  One person could use it from 6am - 2pm, one from 2pm to 10pm
and the last from 10pm until 6am.

The risk is that if the swing-shift employee works late (e.g. until
11:30pm), then the graveyard employee would not get a write license when
he came to work at 10pm.  He'd get a read license, but no write.

So you get more potential "use" out of a floating license - thus the
higher price.

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager, Service Management Business Unit BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed
in this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.
My voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a
role as a spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for
BMC Software, Inc.