-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 8:42 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Output of field contents to file via a filter action

Stephen,

I am certain that the design intent was that there would be a process
that parses the file and does the right thing with what it finds in
the file. So #2 and #3 are totally by design. Also the process was
envisioned as a standing "server" process and not something that is
invoked over and over again. But I guess you could do that too. You
just have to manage the "high water mark" for the entries that you
have already processed between invocations.

If you need to pass data to the process that is monitoring the file
then the value needs to be a field that is written to the entry in the
file. The process parses the entry and does what it needs to do from
there.

If my vague memory is correct, I would be careful about
altering/renaming/moving the file while the ARS server is running. You
may find that multiple users are writing to the file and that there
are some "bad times" to alter the file. Also the ARS server may be
confused by the files length changing or disappearing out from
underneath it too. ( I seem to remember issues like that from when I
played with this many years ago. But my memory might be poor about the
details from that long ago. Do some testing at least.)

The thing that I do not like about the approach is that it builds in a
queue. (and thus a likely delay in the process) If what you need is
"in line processing" then look toward the Filter Plugin. If the queue
effect it desired and/or helpful then the Notify-Other model may work
well for you too.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Heider, Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> **
>

> Fred,
>

> That's cool.  I did not know that about that part of the Notify
command.
> For reference, in ARS 6.3, the BasicGuide-630.pdf describes it on page
524.

> In my testing this morning I am not sure if I can use it here.  I see
three
> challenges to overcome:
>

> The first 8 lines and the last 3 need to be removed from the file.
This is
> extra text inserted by the Notify command.
>
> The application or process that ultimately receives the file will need
> remove these extra lines.
>

> Each time the Notify command is run it appends to the existing file.
>
> After each run the file needs to be deleted or renamed.
>

> The filename is not unique.  For example, "notify4.arn".  This
prevents
> multiple simultaneous users from running this command.  Even though
you can
> have up to 80 different file names (notify4.arn through notify83.arn)
there

_______