That sounds right.  I find it disturbing that performing an ARS patch by
file replacement as documented in the patch read me file could break it.
The error was this horrific mess:

2008-03-11 21:13:42,131 ERROR [main]
com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.ARPluginServerMain (?:?) - AR Plugin Server
Startup Error
org.apache.commons.configuration.ConversionException: 'port' doesn't map
to an Integer object
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getInteger(Abstra
ctConfiguration.java:726)
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getInt(AbstractCo
nfiguration.java:697)
        at com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.f.initialize(Unknown Source)
        at com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.ARPluginServerMain.main(Unknown
Source)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.configuration.ConversionException: Could
not convert PLUGINPORT to java.lang.Integer
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.PropertyConverter.toNumber(PropertyConv
erter.java:312)
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.PropertyConverter.toInteger(PropertyCon
verter.java:157)
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getInteger(Abstra
ctConfiguration.java:722)
        ... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string:
"PLUGINPORT"
        at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Unknown Source)
Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.commons.configuration.PropertyConverter.toNumber(PropertyConv
erter.java:308)
        ... 5 more
AR Plugin Server Startup Error'port' doesn't map to an Integer object

When I studied it (within my limited understanding), knowing that in the
7.1.x ARS installer it now prompts you to accept a default Java Plugin
Server Port of 9999, I decided to run the installer over the
hand-patched server to see if that would clean it up; it did.  That
bodes poorly for the future of hand-applying patches by file
replacement.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/